Thursday 4 August 2011

ON MY WAY TO DO MY VOLUNTARY WORK IN GHANA 2011


Friday 8th July 2011 

 

After catching train from Carmarthen to Swansea i was sitting relaxing for 3/4 of an hour when i suddenly realised i had left my passport at home in the photocopier ,a frantic phone call to my husband resulted in him driving full pelt and managed to arrive 5 mins before i caught my connecting train taking me to London Paddington ,quick sigh of relief and i finally arrived at Paddington on time to catch the Heathrow express train but my 2 x23kg bags were becoming a nightmare to carry around plus i had a backpack ,holdall with some of Anna`s T-shirts and also balls and rings tied to one of my cases !

Enter one very nice Polish man who gave up a day`s work in the city of London to get me on the train with all my luggage :)

Little does he know he is now part of my 11 year blog :)


My suitcases were both well overweight and the woman checking their weight decided she just wanted to get rid of me and put me on the flight without charging me ,phew !


Arrived in Ghana in the middle of the night to be greeted at Accra Airport by a man with a transit van and some other volunteers ,we were chucked into this van with cases hanging out and taken on one hell of a bumpy ride to our house where we were all staying ,one girl was sick due to the journey and potholed roads !


We finally arrived at the house at 4.00 am in the morning and went straight to bed ! There were 3 very high bunkbeds in our room and i found it difficult to get and down without a ladder!!,the other 4 volunteers sharing the room were away for the weekend .The toilet was to be flushed via a bucket of water from a tank outside which filled with rain water and we were to use this to wash with as well ,happy days ,thankgod i have done this before in India ,feel well prepared :)

No comments:

Post a Comment